Dec 16, 2016

FBF: LITTLE BLACK DRESS GALA


I attended The Little Black Dress Gala in Vancouver with a couple of friends.


A charity gala event that primarily benefits the Help Change My City Alliance held bi-annually (Spring and Fall), this organization is dedicated to empowering homeless, at-risk youth, youth out of foster care and young carers (teen parents). Proceeds also provide bursaries to youth who have overcome challenging circumstances, help find employment for marginalized youth and supports Eats On The Streets – a community program for East Vancouver.

The event is hosted at one of Vancouver’s landmarks promoting up and coming talent in design and the performing arts while celebrating established artists and performers. This time it was held at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver surrounded by live jazz, fashion, opera and art installments and the beautiful architecture of the hotel.


The highlights of this event for me was the whole concept and the cause which are both very personal to me. Reaching out to the youth, especially those who have been marginalized and are at-risk and empowering them to find themselves and pursue their dreams benefits our society in so many ways.  As a designer, it’s always fun to see the noobies and what they have to offer. It was very nostalgic for me as I was in that position at one point in my life. The thrill of putting my creations on a model, picking their hair and makeup and watching them walk down the runway for all the city to see was unforgettable. 


For my LBD I wore this frilly, off shoulder satin dress. Since it was petite the proportions were perfect for my short torso. The A-line flares at the perfect spot (meaning I can EAT in this dress and still be classy, kind of). The length hits the point where my legs actually look longer too. The cuts and points of this dress hit the the areas I need it to so I don’t look as short as I actually, am.

OUTFITS (sketch)
Left: Original Design – My entry for #fashioncontestwithus coincidentally themed, LBD
Right: Dress – Topshop Petite Bardot Prom Dress | Shoes – Madden Girl HollissDress Pump

LINKS

Cheers friends!
<3Yna

No comments:

Post a Comment